We are thrilled to give our readers the opportunity to submit historic photos for our upcoming Memories of the Roanoke and New River Valleys II: The 1930s, 1940s & 1950s book project. If you have photographs that meet the criteria below, please bring them to one of our scanning sessions listed here.
- General interest photos, such as: commerce, industry, transportation, rural life, public service, etc.
- Photos taken from 1930 through 1959.
- Photos only — preferably original photos (no newspaper clippings or photocopies).
- Photos taken in Roanoke Valley (Roanoke, Salem, Roanoke County, Vinton) and New River Valley (Montgomery County, Christiansburg, Blacksburg, Radford).
- One submission form per photo.
- Limit 10 photos per family. No appointment necessary.
- Bring your photos to one of the scheduled scanning sessions.
- If you are a private collector, please call 360.723.5800 to set up an appointment.
Download Submission Form
Because we expect a large turnout, we advise you to download and print a submission form. Please print and fill out one form for each photo you’d like to submit.
Download submission form PDF (fillable).
Saturday, May 9, 10 a.m. – noon
Raleigh Court Branch Library
2112 Grandin Road SW, Roanoke
Tuesday, May 12, 10 a.m. – noon
Historical Society of Western Virginia
101 Shenandoah Ave. NE, Roanoke
Wednesday, May 13, 11 a.m. – 1 p.m.
Salem Museum & Historical Society
801 E. Main St., Salem
Wednesday, May 13, 3 p.m. – 5 p.m.
The Roanoke Times
1580 N. Franklin St., Ste. 1, Christiansburg
We hope to see you there!
Bring us your best photos and we’ll scan them in while you wait. Plus, chances are some other fine folks will show up, so bring your stories to share with one another.