The Providence Journal is proud to announce a new hardcover pictorial history book, “Rhode Island Memories: The Early Years.” This book will showcase Rhode Island through the area’s early photographic history, spanning the late 1800s through 1939.
We are excited to invite you, Rhode Island’s historical organizations, to partner with us on this unique project. If you have photos in your collection that meet our guidelines and help tell the story of our area history, please share them with us!
How to share:
Bring up to 10 images to the scanning session listed below. If you would like to submit more than 10 images for consideration, please contact us no later than Friday, March 30, 2018, to set up a private appointment. Photos will be handled with care by our acquisition editor, scanned on-site and given right back to you. In order to keep things speedy, please fill out one photo submission form for each image you plan to contribute prior to the session. Forms can be downloaded and printed here.
What we’re looking for:
- General interest photos (views and street scenes, commerce, industry, transportation, celebrations, public service, key historical moments in Rhode Island history, etc.)
- Photos taken between the late 1800s and 1939
- Original photos and postcards only (no newspaper clippings, artifacts or photocopies)
- Photos taken in Rhode Island
- Photos with caption info (who, what, when, where, why)
Saturday, April 14: 2 p.m. – 5 p.m.
Rhode Island Historical Society
110 Benevolent St.
Providence, RI 02906
Partnership benefits — your organization will receive:
- high-resolution digital copies of all images you contribute at the completion of the project.
- high-resolution digital copies of all images contributed by the public.
- partnership status in the book’s acknowledgements.
- credit with every image printed from your collection, including accession numbers (where applicable).
- one complimentary copy of the finished book for every three photos published from your collection.
- the option to purchase additional copies of the book at a 50% partner discount.
See you there!