Mountain Empire Memories Scanning Sessions
We are thrilled to give our readers the opportunity to submit historic photos for our upcoming Mountain Empire Memories: A Photographic History of the Early Years book project. If you have photographs that meet the criteria below, please bring them to one of our scanning sessions listed here.
- General interest photos, such as: commerce, industry, transportation, rural life, public service, etc.
- Photos taken from the 1800s through 1939.
- Photos only — preferably original photos (no newspaper clippings or photocopies).
- Photos taken in Bristol and the surrounding communities in Sullivan, Washington and Wise counties.
- One submission form per photo.
- Limit 10 photos per family. No appointment necessary.
- Bring your photos to one of the scheduled scanning sessions.
- If you are a private collector, please call 360.723.5800 to set up an appointment.
Download Submission Form
Because we expect a large turnout, we advise you to download and print a submission form. Please print and fill out one form for each photo you’d like to submit.
- Download as PDF (fillable).
Monday, April 22, 11:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.
William King Museum of Art
415 Academy Drive, Abingdon, VA
Monday, April 22, 2:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m.
Museum of the Middle Appalachians
123 Palmer Avenue, Saltville, VA
Tuesday, April 23, 11:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.
Sullivan County Department of Archives and Tourism
3425 Hwy. 126, Ste. 100, Blountville, TN
Wednesday, April 24, 4:00 p.m. – 6:00 p.m.
Coeburn Community Library
111 Third Street, Coeburn, VA 24230
Saturday, April 27, 10:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
Bristol Public Library
701 Goode Street, Bristol, VA
We hope to see you there!
Bring us your best photos and we’ll scan them in while you wait. Plus, chances are some other fine folks will show up, so bring your stories to share with one another.