We are thrilled to give our readers the opportunity to submit historic photos for our upcoming “Central Virginia Memories: A Photographic History of the mid-1800s through the 1930s” book project. If you have photographs that meet the criteria below, please bring them to one of our scanning sessions listed here.
- General interest photos, such as: commerce, industry, transportation, rural life, public service, etc.
- Photos taken from the mid-1800s through 1939.
- Photos only — preferably original photos (no newspaper clippings or photocopies).
- Photos taken in Central Virginia (Lynchburg and counties of Amherst, Appomattox, Bedford, Campbell)
- One submission form per photo.
- Limit 10 photos per family. No appointment necessary.
- Bring your photos to one of the scheduled scanning sessions.
- If you are a private collector, please call 360.723.5800 to set up an appointment.
Download Submission Form
Because we expect a large turnout, we advise you to download and print a submission form. Please print and fill out one form for each photo you’d like to submit.
- Download as PDF (fillable).
Sunday, April 14, 2:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m.
Legacy Museum of African American History
403 Monroe Street, Lynchburg
Monday, April 15, 3:00 p.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Bedford Museum and Genealogical Library
201 E. Main Street
Wednesday, April 17, 10:00 a.m. – noon
Sweet Briar College
134 Chapel Road, Sweet Briar
Thursday, April 18, 1:00 p.m. – 3:00 p.m.
1514 Main Street, Altavista
Friday, April 19, 10:00 a.m. – noon
Appomattox County Historical Society, Old Jail Museum
337 Court Street, Appomattox
Friday, April 19, 5:30 p.m. - 7:30 p.m.
Lynchburg Public Library
2315 Memorial Ave, Lynchburg, VA 24501
We hope to see you there!
Bring us your best photos and we’ll scan them in while you wait. Plus, chances are some other fine folks will show up, so bring your stories to share with one another.